Sunday, April 27, 2014

Applying for the JET Program: The Reply Form and Other Documents

After I was notified that I was a shortlist candidate, I was required to submit MORE documents to JET. I really didn't realize how much paperwork was involved with the whole process.

In my case, I had to submit the reply form, a copy of my passport (valid until 2015), and two passport photos. These were due May 2nd. The three other documents required by JET - the criminal record check, the certificate of health, and proof of graduation - were given a later due date of June 20th, thankfully. 

The information to fill out on the reply form included checking yes or no to accepting the shortlist position, my address, if I had applied for a criminal record check yet, if I had dependents and if they were accompanying me, if I had dual nationality with Japan, choice of departure airport,  passport information, and if I already had a visa for Japan. There was also space to glue on the two passport photos.

My tips for filling out the reply form:
  • Do it early! My form had to be in Toronto by May 2nd, NOT postmarked. You never know with mail, so get it done and send it out ASAP. Plus, a lot of people send their paperwork in near the deadline, so sending as early as you can will also relieve the coordinator of some work.
  • Make your photos professional. Dress for your photos like you did for the interview. That little bit of extra effort might be the standout factor that causes a CO to pick you.
  • Follow directions! Check and double check. If the form asks you to glue the photos, don't tape them or paperclip them. If it wants to you use black ink and all capitals, make sure you're doing it.
  • Get tracking when you send your package off. It is worth any extra cost to have that peace of mind that your important documents actually arrived.

Tips for the criminal record check:
  • If you can afford it, get the criminal record check and certificate of health done as if you were applying for early departure (even if you're not). Being able to send these off with your reply form will relieve some of your stress and minimize the number of post office visits you need to make.
  • Get the ball rolling on your criminal record check ASAP. Right now. I mean it! It can take weeks or even months to get your check returned. In my case, the police only mail them out, so on top of that I had to wait for it to arrive in the mail. 
  • In Canada, there is a bit of an issue with criminal record checks. The vulnerable sector check is what is usually required for teachers, however, these are no longer done for jobs outside of Canada. I could only obtain the regular police check, and the consulate was aware of this and accepted my check regardless. However, I have heard that you can get the vulnerable sector check if you tell the police that it is going to the embassy or consulate in Canada, not Japan.

Tips for the certificate of health:
  • This is something else you should get started on as soon as you can, as it can be difficult to make appointments in time for busy doctors. In my case, my doctor only did examinations at certain times. I ended up going to my student health center. You can make appointments early on and cancel them without penalty if you need to, as long as you observe the doctor or clinic's policy.
  • If you need to get the TB test instead of the x-ray (some doctors won't do x-rays without just cause), keep in mind that this may take several weeks. I opted for the 2-step test, because it makes it easier for any other TB tests I take in the future. This meant that I had to visit my clinic four separate times (I scheduled my examination for the 4th day as well to prevent a 5th visit). 
  • Make sure your doctor fills out ALL the sections. Especially make sure that you can get your eyesight and hearing checked.
  • Also make sure that you get a copy of the TB test results if you do that instead of the x-ray. They are required to be included with the certificate of health.

Tips for the proof of graduation:
  • Somewhat obvious, but important to note: MAKE SURE YOU WILL GRADUATE ON TIME. When I applied in November, I had to get a letter written up by my counselling office which stated that I was expected to graduate in June 2014. This required a graduation check, so I knew exactly what factors my graduation hinged on. 
  • Make sure you will get your actual diploma in time. In my case, I get my diploma on the day I graduate and no earlier. 
Turning in these documents on time is incredibly important, as late documents will disqualify you from the JET Programme. Late documents will make one alternate very happy, but you may not share their enthusiasm.

Also, make sure you get copies of everything you send to JET! It is important to keep copies for your own reference, just in case.

Lastly, I will quickly touch on another document you may be required to submit, which is registration for orientations. This is for both shortlisters and alternates. My consulate offered 8 orientations (2 were the same information) plus Japanese classes. I am required to submit my registration by May 16th. It is important to send this on time because the consulate needs to know how many people are attending which events.

3 comments:

  1. Hi I was also short-listed for the Jet Programme this year and I was just wondering what criminal record check you got. Is it the clearance letter from the Toronto police services or is there something else I should get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually live in Toronto, so I'm not sure what your clearance letter looks like...I submitted this form ( http://www.guelphpolice.ca/en/services-and-reporting/resources/police-criminal-record-check-(pcrc).pdf ), which was filled out with the necessary information and then just checked negative in the grey box at the bottom.
      However, a quick search tells me:
      "The Toronto Police Service provides two types of background screenings:

      * Clearance Letter
      A Canada wide search based on your name and date of birth, to determine whether or not you have any criminal convictions in the National Criminal Repository.
      * Vulnerable Sector Screening
      A search intended for those that wish to work or volunteer with the vulnerable sector."

      JET prefers the vulnerable sector screening, but you cannot get it in Toronto unless an organization applies for you, so I guess the clearance letter is what you need!

      Delete
    2. And congrats on being shortlisted! :D

      Delete