Friday, April 4, 2014

Finding out JET Interview Results from Toronto

I was shocked and ridiculously excited when I heard the first interview results went out on March 31. I had gotten my notification of interview the day after those in the US had, so I was hopeful for hearing my results on April 1st. Alas, it was not so. Despite checking my email every hour, the inbox remained empty. After April 2nd came and passed with no email, despite the constant checking, I resigned myself to waiting until Friday. On April 3rd I checked my email twice in the morning, then left at 9:17am to take Yana to daycare and go to work. On my way to the daycare, I got a text from Justin (whom I had instructed to check my email every now and then). I had an email! Actually, two! I suddenly felt like I was going to have a heart attack and pee my pants at the same time. I can check my email on my phone, but I had to wait until I got to school to check it. However, I was suspicious about the two emails, as they did that last time when I got my notification of interview (one had attachments for documents). I figured this meant I was either an alternate or shortlisted!
I got to school around 10:10 and sat down to check my email:

"It is our great pleasure to inform you that you have successfully passed the second stage of the screening process for the 2014 JET Programme year, and you have been offered a Short-list position as an Assistant Language Teacher."


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't believe the words I was reading. I was actually betting on an alternate position, because I have bad luck like that. I was also increasingly more and more embarrassed about my performance at the interview the more I thought about it. I was sure I did very poorly.

Now, the funniest part about this is that when I got home from work I read the email properly and saw the timestamp for the first time. It turns out that 9:17 was EXACTLY when I was leaving the house with Yana. On top of that, Justin had checked earlier THAT EXACT SAME MINUTE and there had been no email! I had actually been home when it was sent, but we didn't hear the new mail ding because we were busy saying goodbyes. The only reason Justin realized, in fact, was because he heard the ding from the second email, which was sent at 9:25. Uncanny timing...

No comments:

Post a Comment