Friday, September 26, 2014

Eastern Tottori Speech Contest 2014

Today I had to wake up very early to arrive at school by 7:00am. Today was the eastern Tottori speech contest! Junior high schoolers from all around eastern Tottori gathered today for the competition. There are 3 parts of the contest - the 7th and 8th grade recitations, 9th grade recitations, and 9th grade original speeches. The winner of the original speeches gets to go to Tokyo for the all-Japan contest!

I had 2 speech students this year; both 2nd graders (grade 8). A did a recitation about the rabbit of Inaba, a local folk legend. N did a recitation about a demon who wanted to be friends with children. We spent the last few weeks practicing for this contest, sometimes staying at school past 6pm!

We all rode together in my JTE's car. We arrived pretty early, because my JTE was helping with the contest. But soon enough all the other students, ALTs, and JTEs began to arrive. The competition was at a library and there was a museum across the street with a huge courtyard, so everyone was practicing there.

The contest started with an opening ceremony in an auditorium at 9:00am. After that we divided up into our groups, so I went with my students to a smaller meeting room, where they would be giving their speeches. A went second and N went 7th. There were 17 students in total in that group. I was the only one with 2 students giving speeches in that group, but many other ALTs had 9th graders as well (and I didn't). My students did really great! Their comment cards mentioned that they were nice and loud, and I was very happy to see that because it was something we practiced for.

Inside the auditorium.

After their group was finished we went outside and ate lunch in the museum courtyard. We then went back into the auditorium and listened to TWENTY EIGHT of the 9th grade original speeches. It was very long, very hot, very dark, and everyone was extremely sleepy. I admit I fell asleep a few times. I really respect the judges for being able to deal with that!

The 9th grade speeches finally finished 3 hours later and at 4:00pm we had the awards ceremony. My students didn't place. To be honest, I don't agree with the student who was chosen as the winner from their group. She went over the time limit, among other things. She wasn't bad, but I don't think she was the best. I DID agree with the girl who was chosen as winner of the 9th grade original speeches. She was very good and her pronunciation was amazing! She very obviously stood out, so I'm glad she was chosen!

All of the participants in this year's contest.

I feel a lot more prepared for next year's speech contest now. Going into this I really had no idea what I was doing, so now I feel better having experienced it!

No comments:

Post a Comment