Monday, October 27, 2014

What I Actually Do As an ALT


Obviously I knew before I applied for JET that the job entailed teaching English to students. But before arriving and in the first month I felt really nervous and uncertain about what exactly my job would be. Its hard for new JETs to know, since ESID (every situation is different) is the unofficial JET motto.

Here's what I do:

I teach at 2 schools, a junior high school and an elementary school. The only other school in town is an agricultural high school and I am the only ALT (aside from one who apparently visits the high school every now and then, but no one seems to know who he is).

I work at the JHS on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. So Tuesdays and Thursdays are ES days.

My contract hours are something like 8am to 4pm, but I arrive early and leave late every day.

I have anywhere from 2 to 5 classes a day. There are a total of 6 class periods, but I've never had 6 classes in a day - thank goodness! I only ever have 2 classes at ES. So my average is probably around 14 classes a week, give or take. Could be upwards around 18, though. Maximum ever would be 22, but that's likely never going to happen (and would be insane!). The class periods are 50 minutes in JHS and 45 minutes in ES. But often there are special schedules, so classes are shortened.

At school I spend a lot of time "desk warming." I am sometimes busy with classes, yes, but often I have at least a few free periods and there are always special things going on which I am excluded from, either because I have no idea whats happening or because I have been told I don't need to participate/ignored. At my desk I work on lesson ideas, study Japanese, browse the internet, or stare out the window. Sometimes I chat with my coworkers, but often I'm alone or with few others in the teacher's room.

At ES I have a few extra responsibilities outside of class. Every morning (except for two days a month) I read an English book to the 4th-1st graders. I go to a different class each time. I am also expected to play with the kids during recess. Sometimes I play the Japanese version of tag or go see what the pet rabbit will eat. Usually I play with the younger kids, since they're not too cool for me. Plus I don't teach them, so I'm more interesting to them. Once a month there are clubs, so I attend those as well. I went to cooking club most recently, but I want to attend the walking places club (I have no idea what to call it), because it seems like a great way to visit local spots. I also help dish out the teacher's lunches. I admit to an ulterior motive - its the perfect way to control my portions! But I do like to help out.

Sometimes we do random activities at ES, like digging up sweet potatoes that the students planted. Unfortunately I feel like I miss out on a lot, since I'm only there twice a week (or less if theres a holiday).

As far as ES lesson planning goes, I don't have to do much. The lessons are all pre-made. Sometimes the HRT (homeroom teacher) wants to rearrange things, but usually we follow the lessons. I have been trying out some different activities, because I feel like the pre-made lessons are a bit redundant and boring.

I only have 2 co-teachers at Es and I play a larger role in class than at JHS. Every class starts with a greeting (hello, how are you). Then we usually do some awful chant from the interactive textbook (we use these smart computer screen things). Next we review or learn the target vocabulary. We tend to do 2 activities using the target vocabulary and grammar. The teacher usually explains the game, and I join in or walk around and see how they're doing. The activities are things like keyword game (students make pairs and put an eraser between them. When I say the key word, they try to grab the eraser first), pointing game (like hand twister, using the images in their textbook), simon says, bingo, making pairs, etc. At the end of class, students have to write a reflection.

At JHS I have more to do and more classes to attend, but I also have less importance in the classroom. I sometimes help make activities for the students, but since I'm still learning I usually follow the JTE's lead. Its also difficult because I can't attend every class, so I'm never sure of where they are in the textbook when I'm teaching. At ES they only ever have English once a week, so I know exactly where I left off.

I teach with 5 JTEs at the JHS. Two are in charge of a special needs class, which only has 2 students (a 1st grader and a 2nd grader). Because of that we spend a lot of time just drilling the vocabulary and sample dialogue. Its a bit boring, to be honest. I don't have that class often (maybe once a week), but I'm hoping to propose some activities to make things a bit more lively.

My third JTE only teaches 1st graders. She is super nice and is the same age as me! She lets me do the most in class. I do things like greetings, handing out papers, modelling pronunciation, checking written work, and writing answers on the board (quizzes and homework). Sometimes I do things on my own, like explain an activity I made or give a short presentation (I just did one introducing my grandmother and had them take a quiz about it). Usually the classes start with a review quiz of the last section, then they take notes or review grammar, and lastly some kind of worksheets or activities.

The fourth JTE teaches 2nd and 3rd graders. I teach with her most often. I don't do much in her class, but the students write the most English, so I mostly spend time checking their work as I wander around. I don't even get to help write on the board or even hand out papers, but I do model dialogue and vocabulary (of course). Recently I have been making more activities for this grade, though, which is great. I always get to introduce my activities. Usually they just take notes and do 1 or 2 activities - often writing or speaking.

The last JTE is actually the vice principal, and she teaches the 3rd graders. She is the main teacher, and the other JTE mainly walks around and helps the students or models dialogue with me. I don't do much in the 3rd grade classes because they do a lot of listening to grammar lectures and translating into Japanese, which I can't help with too much. I mostly just hand out papers and model vocabulary and dialogue. We don't really do any games or activities aside from pairs saying the dialogue to each other. Sometimes this JTE engages me in conversation (what did you think about the sports festival?), which I guess is good for the students to hear, but its random.

At JHS there are some clubs, and some ALTs join them, but I haven't. No one approached me about it and it seems like its mostly sports and band, so I'm not super interested. There are events like the sports festival and the culture festival which I participate in or attend. I also do things like listen to the students practicing their singing and attend pep rallies. Then there was the demonstration lesson and professional development which I had to take part in. In general, I'm not as involved outside of class. I'm hoping to eventually change that a bit. My first goal is to set up and English board, where students can interact with English informally. Starting small.

Anyway, that's a general overview of what I do at work!


No comments:

Post a Comment