Sunday, March 1, 2015

Things & Stuff


January 28th
The 1st graders at the ES had some sort of traditional games day with a bunch of elderly folks from Chizu and the surrounding area. I was at JHS, but K-sensei asked me to attend and I was able to head over for the duration of the program. The elderly people were teaching the kids string games (like cat's cradle), spinning tops, paper airplanes, and some other traditional games. I sat with the string group to begin with. I had some trouble doing some of the more complicated creations, but when it was time to move to the next group, the new group of kids doing string begged me to come with them, so I ended up getting to try everything over again!


February 12th
At the ES, the kids have clubs once a month. I have always attended cooking club, but randomly the teacher in charge of making things club asked me to attend. Turns out the kids were making baskets! There were some elderly folks there to instruct us. I actually got there a bit late, so I was a little lost at first, but then I really started to get the hang of it. The kids were really good, too! I love the look of these kinds of handicrafts, and it was really neat to be able to learn this tradition. So I was glad the teacher randomly asked me to come!



February 23rd
The JHS 3rd graders had a viking kyuushoku, that is, a buffet school lunch. All the teachers were invited and divided up among the two classes. I went to 3-1, and the students presented me with a personal invitation. I was actually really excited because the menu looked alright, but my hopes and dreams were immediately smashed upon sitting down. The students had already made me a tray - which was kind, to be sure, but they had loaded it up with way too much stuff and stuff I didn't want. It was not like a buffet at all! I thought I was going to be able to make my own tray up. And then I felt so guilty about not eating my food that I didn't get up and get any of the fresh fruit and I only just managed to snag a piece of chocolate cake. Anyway, the 6th graders at the ES have the same thing happening in March (it's a graduation celebration thing), and I'm not expecting to be invited or anything, but if I am and if its the same thing at least I'll be prepared.


February 25th
The ES had their "commemorative graduation photo". It was Wednesday, but I was able to leave for an hour to go over for the photo. Actually, it worked out well because I didn't have any classes anyway - the JHS kids all had tests. When I got there everyone was running around in a fluster, getting into their suits. Even though the photo is only for the 6th graders, every single staff member is in the photo - AND! The mayor and head of education, too! I still love how they do photos here; its really amusing to me for some reason. They are so particular - the photographer and his helper were physically arranging the clothing on the teachers in the front row. And at one point he even stopped shooting to come up and tell the lady standing behind me that her hair was sticking up. Anyway, I think I ordered a copy of the photo, so if I get that, I'll be sure to share (student faces blocked out, of course!).


No comments:

Post a Comment