Sunday, November 1, 2015

Haikarashi 2015

A guy let Yana sit in his retro car. Foreigner perks.

Every November, my town has a great "time slip" festival, called Hikarashi. I have no idea what the name means, but basically the main events are retro cars and a historical costume contest and tons of little vendors line the streets. It's quite a big festival - probably the biggest of the year.

Last year we went out for the 9:00am opening car parade, but this year we decided to skip it and left around 10:30. We wandered around the streets, and Justin got some local deer burgers. Yana and I came across some friends, and Yana sweetly gave them some of her candies of her own accord, stating, "I just didn't want them to hunger." I died of cuteness.

We crossed the bridge into the main area of the festival, and met some of my co-workers from the elementary school. They asked if I was going to wear a kimono, and told me it was in the same place as last year. So we slowly made our way there. Along the way a noticeably drunk fellow asked for photos with Yana, proclaiming about how cute she was. His friend eagerly nodded in agreement. Later we picked up two of my 5th grade girls, who were going to get their obi re-tied. Yana and I went up with them to get changed into kimono. They played with Yana while I was getting dressed, giving her piggy back rides and playing tag.

We came back out, and started checking out the festival stalls. Yana and I shared a mango float. We met a bunch of my coworkers from both schools. We also came across the drunk fellow several more times - each time he asked for more photos. At one point he even picked her up and pretended to carry her away. He was totally harmless, but after several photoshoots, Yana was getting a bit irritated, and had to be coerced into several other photos with other folks who just had to get a photo with the "kawaii" foreigner.

We also went up to the shrine, where there was a mini hemp festival. There's a bit of a revitalization going on here, using traditional methods to make traditional things out of hemp. That's about all I've gathered about it.

By this time, Yana was getting a bit cranky, so we let her get changed and took her to play on the steps of the elementary school, where it was quiet. Then we went back to the kimono rental, and I got changed. We stopped at a stall to buy some wood-fired pizza. While we were waiting, some random old guy gave us a package of takoyaki. I'm not sure why people always give us food, it happens freakishly often.

We slowly headed back towards home, stopping on the bridge, where the costume contestants were giving speeches. My two students dragged us over and made us vote for them, even though we had already done it before. We watched for a bit, and then headed home.



No comments:

Post a Comment