Sunday, July 10, 2016

Recent Events

Chizu Tanabata Festival


Fireflies
In Tottori-shi, there is a park called Ochidani Koen, where people have been breeding fireflies. In mid-June, you can go there at night to see them. Apparently there are thousands of them, so I thought it would be neat to go see. We got there before it was dark and also had to leave early around 8pm, but we did get to see some fireflies. Yana had lots of fun, and we even befriended a family, so she enjoyed running around with their kids. It was definitely a cool experience, I just wish we could've stayed longer! (Train schedules stopped us)

Parent's Day at JHS
On June 18th, there was a parent's day at the JHS. I had regular classes in the morning and then the actual demonstration class after lunch. I'm pretty used to people hanging around in my classes by now. I think it went alright. The JTE wanted me to talk about electric power sources in Brazil, Japan, and Canada, so I had to do some hasty research. I think a lot of it went over the kids' heads.

Tanabata Festival
Tanabata is celebrated on July 7th, but it was a weekday, so Chizu had the festival on the night of the 9th. Yana's grade was invited to showcase their naruko (wooden clapper) dance, so we brought her and were able to see her dance in costume for the first time. She did really well! We also saw the dentist there, who was dancing with the local yosakoi team, as usual. After the dances, we hung around with some of her friends, ate kakigori, and did kingyo sukui (but for plastic toys, not goldfish). Afterwards, we walked back home with our neighbours, and they gave Yana a gift, which was really kind! It was a Japanese fan and a pretty flower hair clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment