Friday, June 27, 2014

First Contact From My CO


A few days ago I finally heard from Chizu...by mail! For some reason I was expecting an email, but instead I got this package in the mail.

There was a bunch of stuff inside, but after reading it I felt like it was more a tease than anything! I am really keen for knowledge. But it was great to receive this package and now I am communicating by email with my supervisor.

Anyway, inside the package was:
  • a welcome letter
  • a letter of appointment in English
  • a letter of appointment in Japanese
  • a copy of my contract in English
  • a copy of my contract in Japanese
  • a copy of my statement of agreement with the contract
  • a letter about housing options
  • copies of housing option floorplans
  • a brochure for the local forest kindergarten (since I have a kiddo)

It had already been mentioned to me by my predecessor, but my CO offered me 3 housing options: 
  • 1LDK for 23,500 (where my predecessor currently lives)
  • 3LDK for 30,900
  • 4LDK for 45,800
I get housing subsidy, which depends on the cost of my rent (must be a percentage thing). Subsidy goes up to 27,000円, and that is what I get for the 3LDK, and that is what we chose. Four bedrooms seemed a little crazy. So I emailed my supervisor and asked for the 3LDK. She told me it was on the 5th floor of an apartment building and sent me some photos and a floorplan!

The entranceway.

This is called the "sunroom." Not sure what its purpose is aside from storage.

The living/dining area.

Kitchen.

Alternate view of the kitchen. I believe that door leads to a small kitchen balcony.

Bath room.

Laundry room/bath room.

Toilet room.

Vanity across from the laundry area.

Bedroom 1 (6 tatami mats size).

Bedroom 1 (6 tatami mats size).

Bedroom 2 (4.5 tatami mats size).

Bedroom 2 (4.5 tatami mats size).

Tatami room (6 mats size).

Tatami room (6 mats size).
So I guess this is our home for the next year+! I am really excited about the wood floors. And overall the apartment seems pretty nice. Actually, its bigger than our house now, and for half the rent!

Edit: I skyped with my pred last night and he showed me the view from his front door:


The tallest building in the background is our apartment building! To the left of this view is the hospital.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear where I've been placed! I applied for the 2015 JET year and was shortlisted! Your blog has been so helpful to me! I think I've read it over like 8 times! Thank you so much for all the details you've given!

    ReplyDelete