Sunday, November 16, 2014

Chizu ハイカラ市 2014

Today my little town had a big event on called ハイカラ市. I'm not sure what it translates to exactly - I get plush city or high collar city from the translator. Anyway, the whole thing kicked off with a retro car parade at 9:30am (why must they do things so early here...). I wasn't entirely sure what to do or where to go after that, but luckily there were enough people that we could just follow the crowd.

We walked down what is basically the main shopping street of Chizu, where they had lots of different food stalls set up. One of the first ones was a stall selling blueberry products. The old man there gave us samples (dried blueberries and blueberry jam with yogurt) and started chatting with us. I guess his child lives in Vietnam and his grandchild lives in Vancouver. People always have such neat stories to tell foreigners! Anyway, he was really kind and invited us to come to visit the blueberry farm in the summer.

We continued walking along and made a quick stop at the deer burger stand, where Justin got his beloved meal. They also gave us free samples of deer croquettes, which were tasty! Across from that stand was Chinorin Shop, which is a new shop being opened by the agricultural high school students. They sell the produce they make for pretty cheap. We took a look around - I have never seen vegetables so big! The napa cabbage was as big as Yana and the carrots were as thick as my arm!

Along the way we also met a few of the elementary school students, who called out my name. We met a group of three girls, who were very excited to meet Yana. They love touching her "golden" hair.

We crossed over the river and continued exploring. I'd never actually been to this part of town, so it was a great way to explore. We checked out a traditional garden at the back of a restaurant, which was open to the public. After that we came to a crossroads. A guy tried to explain to use what was in each direction, but I didn't understand much of what he said. We turned right. There were lots more food stalls - selling everything from rice dumplings to grilled meat sticks to pizza to french toast. There were also some stalls selling small trinkets and things like second hand clothing. We stopped for a bit so Yana could watch a story being told for the kids.

The gorgeous garden.

We came across a lady who actually lives in our building and works at the town office for the newsletter. She told us we could dress in kimono and so we followed her to the place where that was. It was 2,500Y for the three of us, which is actually pretty cheap, I think.

We went upstairs and they had ladies help us get dressed. I have worn a yukata before - a summer kimono - but never a real kimono. I was strapped in there pretty tight! It wasn't an entirely authentic experience, though. I was wearing my jeans and t-shirt underneath, so I wasn't wearing any traditional underclothes or anything.

All dressed up!

After we were dressed we wandered around the street some more. I met one of the staff from the elementary school, who wanted to take pictures of me and then pictures of her with me. If we stood out before, we definitely stood out now! People were shrieking about the cuteness of Yana as we walked by. Some girl even snapped a photo as she ran by. I don't particularly mind, but its weird to think of how many people must have photos of Yana by now. 

The old cars were on display along the streets.

Unfortunately Yana was jumping around too much, so her obi came off. We went back to the house where we got dressed, but Yana just wanted out of it by then, so we all changed back. After that she was a bit grouchy, so we ended up going home. It was a great event, though! Tons of stuff to do! If we're here another year, I'll definitely look forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment