Sunday, November 23, 2014

New ALT Observation Lesson

I'm not sure if this is the norm for other prefectures - although I tend to think it isn't, as I hadn't heard about it before - but in Tottori the new ALTs have an observation lesson a few months after arrival. Its a chance for the prefectural advisors, their BOE, and their main school to connect and see how the ALT is adjusting and performing.

Of course the idea of all these people coming to watch me teach made my stomach churn and I worried about the impending day of Wednesday, November 19th. What made it worse was that the Monday before, my JTE was away, so we literally had no chance to talk about the lesson. I wasn't sure what to expect at all.

I arrived at Chizu JHS on Wednesday, and the day began like any other. In the first period I taught the 3-2 class. Next was second period with the 2-2 class...and my observation lesson. I went back to the teacher's room and gathered my things. I exchanged my fleece sweater for my suit jacket and tucked in my shirt. My JTE and I went up to class.

I was expecting my observers to be there already, but I found the class to contain only my students. A few minutes after we started, they filed in. I tried my best to ignore them, but I think there were maybe five or more people watching me - my principal and vice principal, my supervisor from the BOE, and at least two people from the prefecture. I felt my cheeks heating up and the lesson really swung into gear, and the intense burning of my face wasn't helped by the fact that the students had turned on the heaters for the first time and had decided on a hellfire-like temperature. 

Overall I felt like my performance was pretty good. I walked around the class. I spoke loudly and clearly. The students were well-behaved and asked me lots of questions, since they knew they were being watched.

After the class, I met up with M, the prefectural ALT advisor, and we had a private meeting together. Meanwhile, the rest of the observers had a meeting with my JTE. I found this meeting really beneficial. Since M is American, she is a great person to talk to and I always find her helpful and understanding. We were able to talk a lot about how the schools are using me and what she thought of the lesson. I was so thrilled to hear from her that they like me and want me to stay for the whole three years! It really made me feel great to know that I have been doing a good job. I was also able to discuss the preschool situation with M, and thankfully they also seemed to have realized it would be best for Yana to join. M told me about the BOE and school's concerns about me, which were 1) that we didn't own a car, and 2) that because we didn't own a car we would have difficulties doing things with other ALTs. I thought it was hilarious that these were their two major concerns...I mean, I was expecting it would be something way worse! It was thoughtful though, that they worry about me like that. 

After about an hour, M went to talk with the BOE and my principal and vice principal without my JTE. I sat semi-awkwardly at my desk, chatting with my JTE. Once M and co. were done, we went to see them off at the entrance and bowed a million times. My supervisor told me he would push to have Yana enter the preschool, which I am so greatful for. Even though I was really nervous about the day, I felt like it was a really good opportunity to have everyone communicate and I'm so glad it happened.


Note: Since then, Yana has been approved for a trial at the preschool, with the hopes of starting for real in December! My supervisor went to talk to the head of the school about it. Additionally, one of our local acquaintances - on his own initiative after hearing about it from us - went to speak to the school about why Yana wasn't being allowed to enter. I was stunned by his kindness, especially since he runs his own separate school (another kind of forest school). So, Justin will attend with Yana for three days next week. Hopefully she does alright and can join! I will try to write a more detailed update afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment